How to File Your Form 8974 with ADP Total Source
- The IRS requires that you file Form 8974 the quarter after you file your income tax return with Form 6765 attached.
- If you miss the filing deadline, you will need to amend that quarter’s payroll tax return.
- If you’re filing to claim the R&D payroll tax credit for the previous tax year, the earliest you can process your credit is one quarter after you file your federal income tax return and Form 6765. The deadline to file for any given quarter is 30 days after the end of the quarter. For example, if you’re filing to claim the payroll tax credit for 2021, and you intend on filing your Federal Tax Return in Q1 2022, then the earliest you can process your credit is Q2 2022. To do so, you must file your Form 8974 and Form 941 by 30 days after the end of Q2 2022.
- ADP TotalSource can file Form 8974 on your behalf if you complete and sign their election form.
- Some of the information below is sourced from ADP and may not reflect ADP TotalSource’s latest changes.
- To file your R&D Credit with ADP TotalSource you must complete their Research & Development Tax Credit Election Form.
Send ADP Total Source your completed election form, as well as a copy of your Form 6765 at least 2 weeks before the quarter ends. Be sure to get confirmation from ADP that this form has been filed.